Come enjoy the art of pastel painting with beloved workshop instructor Maggie Price. In this step-by-step guide, she teaches you everything you need to know to make the most of this accessible art form. From selecting the right materials to learning the fundamentals of composition, Maggie starts with the basics and progresses to 21 complete pastel demonstrations that detail specific painting techniques and effects.
You’ll learn how to:
- Create depth and movement with color
- Paint using a range of strokes
- Blend colors to create luminous skies, reflections and more
- Underpaint to achieve brilliant light and deep shadows
- Mix pastels with watercolor and gouache to create fluid effects
- Create new compositions from photographs
In addition to step-by-step guidance, you’ll be inspired by the work of ten nationally renowned pastel artists. Their contributions to this book illustrate the limitless possibilities of pastel painting and offer additional insight for working with this versatile medium. Maggie also includes dozens of helpful sidebars to help you save time, avoid mistakes and work more efficiently.
With its blend of visual instruction, thorough guidance and breathtaking artwork, this is the only guide you need to experience the joy and satisfaction of painting with pastels.